Bible Verse: And now abide faith, hope, love, these three; but the greatest of these is love. 1 Corinthians 13:13 (NKJV)
Bible Scripture: 1 Corinthians 13:1-13
Extra: **Make chocolate heart suckers** I make chocolate suckers for the kids, one for them and one for them to share and show love. You can find the sucker molds at almost any craft store, but I purchased mine on eBay. Click here to print the love tags for the chocolate.
I also had a piece of paper for each student to use for the last visual.
Words or numbers in red at the beginning of the paragraphs are the corresponding visuals and student pages. Scripture is in blue and from the NKJV.
COVER Our lesson today is found in 1 Corinthians 13. [verses 1-2] Paul is writing this letter to the Church at Corinth. Paul talks about love and it is a good reminder for us as every day. Paul begins by saying that if you do not have love; you are like a clanging cymbal!
You know that a banging cymbal is Loud and annoying! And Paul says that isn't love. He said that it doesn’t matter how wise you are… if you don’t have love, then you don’t have anything.
Paul is saying to share and give with the right heart and with love. He wants you to give freely and not resent what you are giving.2. Jealous Love does not envy, does not parade itself and is not puffed up. Love isn’t jealous of what others have, and if you have things that others want, you shouldn’t make your friends jealous because you have it.
3. Boast Love is not proud or big headed. That also means boasting or bragging. Accept what you have, what God has given you. Be happy, not "I want this and that".
4. Not Rude or Mean [verse 5] Love does not behave rudely. Love is not impolite or mean. Love doesn’t do things that we’ll regret or be ashamed of later. Discuss being mean.
5. Care About Others Love does not seek its own. Love doesn’t look out for their own interests or just themselves. That also includes grabbing things from people. Or interrupting when someone is talking. Love cares about other people’s needs.
6. Controls Temper Love is not provoked. That means that Love doesn’t become angry easily. Love is forgiving. Take time to let your temper cool down. Don’t hold grudges.
7. Good Thoughts (verse 6) Does not rejoice in iniquity, but rejoices in the truth. Iniquity is sin, or doing sinful things that God doesn't like. And, just the opposite is to be happy to do what is right.
Love bears all things. (Love accepts and protects.)Love believes all things. (Love trusts)
Love hopes all things. (Love always has hope.)Love never fails. (Love puts up with things and never gives up.) If you love someone or something, you never stop trying. Love is patient, willing to listen and take the time to pay attention.
Faith is believing in Jesus and knowing that He will do what’s best for us.
Hope is knowing that we will be with Jesus in Heaven.And God is love! Love never ends.
We have faith in what Jesus taught us, and we know that if we do everything He commands, we will go to Heaven with Him.
10. Greatest is Love BUT the greatest of these is love. Why? Finally, the Bible tells us that love keeps no record of wrongs. You have a piece of paper in front of you. Pretend that this is a list you’ve been making of things that bother you about other people. Let’s tear it up. Rip it to little pieces! Now there’s nothing standing in the way of you loving others.Love thinks good things, and if you are thinking good things, you will do good things. Slow down and see if there’s something you can do to help someone … You show your love by how you act and treat others.
Click here to print the above teacher's visuals.
Click here to print the student flip chart.
You can also print the above as a booklet. You can print it here.
Since I have other lessons with a book, I wanted something different for the kids, so I used the flip chart. If you want to print the book on both pages, here is the order:
cover & back - 1 & 10
9 & 2 - 3 & 8
7 & 4 - 5 & 6
I print the first 3 pages on the document, then print the back to the correct page listed above.
Part of what we did for this lesson was a race last week! So, the front's of the cards will be done by the kids that were in class last week.
BUT, I kept the cards for today's lesson. They finished the inside and will give it to someone who needs some love shown to them. The inside says "Just wanted you to know that you are loved!" They added stickers or colored it, etc to make it theirs. The kids were told to give the card and one of the heart suckers to someone they know that needs some love shown to them.
You can download the cards here.
You can also make this banner that was originally used with this lesson.
(The kids love it!)
Scripture taken from the New King James Version®. Copyright © 1982 by Thomas Nelson.
Used by permission.